The 76th Golden Globe Awards are tonight after a great year in cinema. There are lots diverse nominees among the films and actors themselves. No one really knows what might win, but that shouldn’t stop us from making predictions!
Just like with my best of 2018 list, I haven’t seen all of the nominees, but I will be making predictions all the same. And to save space, I’ll only be writing out what I think will win and what I want to win. You can find all of the nominees here!
I will also only be writing about films, since I did not see nearly enough TV this year to make any informed predictions.
Best Motion Picture – Drama
- What I think will win – A Star Is Born. This movie has lots of popularity, which hasn’t diminished much. I think it has the strength to ride all the way to the award.
- What I want to win – I still haven’t seen If Beale Street Could Talk, but I want to badly. After I see it, I think it will have been my pick for this award.
Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
- What I think will win – Green Book. This was made to win awards like this. And it would deserve just about any award it wins.
- What I want to win – Green Book and The Favourite were my fourth and seventh favorite movies of the year, respectively. I would be happy with either of them winning.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
- Who I think will win – Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born. I think Lady Gaga is going to be able to ride this wave of popularity all the way to a win.
- Who I want to win – Unfortunately out of this list, I only saw A Star Is Born and Can You Ever Forgive Me?. Out of those two, I still think I would choose Lady Gaga.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
- Who I think will win – Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born. Cooper would easily deserve this win. His performance in this movie is better than the movie itself, and could be the defining performance of his career.
- Who I want to win – Honestly, I would be happy with any one of these five actors if they won. I loved Cooper, Willem Dafoe was amazing as Van Gogh, Lucas Hedges gives his best performance yet in Boy Erased, and Rami Malek disappeared into Freddie Mercury.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
- Who I think will win – Olivia Colman, The Favourite. Colman has gotten lots of buzz ever since this movie first screened. She gives a great performance and I think she will win.
- Who I want to win – Elsie Fisher, Eighth Grade. This was my second favorite movie of the year and I want it to get some awards recognition.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
- Who I think will win – Christian Bale, Vice. Bale is utterly transformed, yet again. He completely encapsulates Dick Cheney and disappears into the role. It’s perfect for an award like this.
- Who I want to win – Viggo Mortensen, Green Book. Ever since I saw this movie, I thought Viggo would win the award, and I want him to.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
- Who I think will win – Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk. This pick is conjecture based on buzz alone, since I haven’t seen the movie. This and the fact that it will bring diversity to the winners makes me think she will win.
- Who I want to win – Emma Stone, The Favourite. I was looking forward to seeing Stone in this movie and she didn’t disappoint at all. She deserves her second Golden Globe.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
- Who I think will win – Mahershala Ali, Green Book. Ali gives a great performance in this movie. He and Viggo form a powerhouse duo and I think he will get his recognition.
- Who I want to win – Either Timothée Chalamet or Adam Driver. Chalamet gives a transformed performance in my favorite movie of the year (Beautiful Boy), while Driver gives a great performance in an important movie (BlacKkKlansman). I’d be happy with either of them, along with Ali.
Best Director – Motion Picture
- Who I think will win – Alfonso Cuarón, Roma. Roma is an absolutely beautiful movie to look at. Then to add to that fact that it is a passion project about Cuarón’s life makes it that much greater.
- Who I want to win – Cuarón. He’s easily better than the rest of the nominees.
Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
- What I think will win – Green Book. This was an important screenplay that dealt with relevant societal issues. It was handled with care and accessibility.
- What I want to win – Either Green Book or The Favourite, again.
Best Motion Picture – Animated
- What I think will win – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. The animation, story, and voice acting in this movie are all superb. It’s gotten incredible, well-deserved hype, which should allow it to swing home with the award.
- What I want to win – Isle of Dogs. I thoroughly enjoyed Wes Anderson diving back into stop motion animation. In my opinion, this was as good as or better than Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language
- The only movie on this list that I was able to see was Roma, and I think it has a great chance to win, based on the buzz alone.
Best Original Score – Motion Picture
- What I think will win – First Man. This was one of the aspects of this movie I genuinely enjoyed. Overall, I thought the movie could have been better, but I think the score was great.
- What I want to win – Black Panther. Here is one award I think this movie deserves. It’s easily the best out of all the MCU – aside from the Avengers theme – and I think it should be able to win.