The Oscars are tonight! There are so many different ways the voting could go – there is no clear winner in almost any category. That’s what makes it fun!
Here are my picks and predictions!
- What I want to win – The Favourite. Out of all of the Best Picture nominations, this was easily my favourite. It’s well-written, well-acted, well-shot, and has an interesting theme. I really think it has a chance, and that it should win Best Picture.
- What I think will win – But I think Roma will win. Alfonso Cuarón has made exceptional movies for years now, and I think it’s time the Academy honors him.
Best Actor in a Leading Role
- Who I want to win – I think Bradley Cooper gave the best performance of the year. He played a fictional character – there was no actual person to give him a frame of reference for his performance. I think this makes him the best of the year.
- Who I think will win – Unfortunately, I think Rami Malek will win for playing Freddie Mercury. His performance was fine, but he has a lot of momentum this awards season. I wouldn’t be surprised by this win at all.
Best Actress in a Leading Role
- Who I want to win – Keeping with The Favourite, I want Olivia Colman to win. She portrayed so many different things in her performance as an actress who hadn’t done a whole lot. Wholly Oscar worthy.
- Who I think will win – Glenn Close. I still haven’t seen The Wife, but this performance has everything going for it, and I think this is finally her year.
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
- Who I want to win – Out of the nominees, Adam Driver’s performance was my favorite. I’ve liked him for a long time and I think it would be cool for him to win.
- Who I think will win – Mahershala Ali has the momentum, like the others. I think this is his year again.
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
- Who I want to win – Emma Stone gave a great follow up performance to La La Land. I’d love to see her come home with another Oscar win.
- Who I think will win – For a while, I thought it would be Regina King, but for some reason, I feel like Stone will win. So I’m going with her as my pick
- Who I want to win – Spike Lee made lots of bold and effective choices in his best film since Do the Right Thing. Since Roma will likely win a few awards, I’d like to see Lee get this win.
- Who I think will win – But I think this is one Cuarón will take home. This film is so technically proficient, and so much of it is because of him.
Best Animated Feature
- What I want to win – Isle of Dogs seems to be underrated and flying under the radar all of this awards season. I loved it and hope it pulls off the upset.
- What I think will win – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse seems to almost be a consensus pick for this, and it’s totally valid. I don’t think anything will stop it on its way to the win.
Best Adapted Screenplay
- What I want to win – If Beale Street Could Talk. This is a deeply moving and affecting movie that deserves lots of love that it isn’t getting.
- What I think will win – BlacKkKlansman. The same can be said of this movie, except for the fact that it is getting love.
Best Original Screenplay
- In this case, what I want to win and what I think will win are the same movie – The Favourite – for the reasons I mentioned earlier.
Best Achievement in Cinematography
- Again, I both want Roma to win and think it will win. The cinematography in this movie is possibly universally beloved, and for good reason.
Best Achievement in Film Editing
- I think BlacKkKlansman will win, and I want it to win. The final sequence creates an incredible dichotomy worthy of this award.
Best Achievement in Sound Editing
- A Quiet Place was incredibly popular and well done. Its sound is what makes it good, and worthy of this award.
Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
- There are no war movies this year, so I think Roma will take the cake here.
Best Achievement in Production Design
- I think this is the one that Black Panther will win. The Academy likely wants to recognize it somehow, and I think this is the award to do it with.
Best Original Score
- I will be a little upset if If Beale Street Could Talk doesn’t win this award. It’s easily the best score out of all the nominees.
Best Original Song
- What I want to win – I really liked The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, so I think it would be really cool if it wins for its song in the first chapter.
- What I think to win – But I really think there’s no stopping Shallow.
Best Achievement in Hair and Makeup
- I don’t think there is any stopping Vice in this category. They did an incredible job making these actors look like their real-life counterparts.
Best Achievement in Costume Design
- What I want to win – I would be happy with any one of the nominees, minus Mary Poppins Returns.
- What I think will win – The Favourite will come home with multiple awards, I think, including this one.
Best Visual Effects
- What I want to win – Ready Player One was so much fun, largely due to its visual effects.
- What I think will win – Infinity War had great visual effects. I’d be happy to see it win, and I really hope it does.